SERVES: 8 TIME: 45 mins
Is that smoked salmon? Shore-ly not? But it looks just like it!
Yes friends, this is the vegan smoked salmon canapé that you’ve all been waiting for. Picture this, or look at the picture, a crusty toasted baguette base with a big dollop of cream cheese, succulent smoked salmon style carrot in tangy lemon and capers. Anyone else dribbling?
“Get the marinade right and the rest will follow” – Liam Neeson
- Start on the bruschetta by slicing the uncooked baguette into diagonal slice about 1cm thick. Place these on a tray and leave under the grill until they become slightly golden. Keep your eye on that these don’t burn (three batches later..) and flip the on the other side so they are a nice golden colour all over.
- Take these out and leave them to cool, they need to be totally cooled before you can top them up otherwise it’ll all get very messy.
- When ready to rumble, whip up your marinade ie throw all the ingredients in an oven dish and mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 175℃
- Wash your carrots then peel them thinly with a peeler as far as you can go, to get lovely wafer thin strips.
- Pop them in the oven dish with the marinade and sit them in the oven for about 10 minutes, no more because you don’t want them to be total mush.
- Take them out and leave them to cool before you tart up your bruschetta.
- Big dollop of vegan cream cheese (we used Violife), sprinkle of salt, carrot lox, fresh dill, a caper or two and a crack of black pepper; in that order.
- Line them up and share them out.