SERVES: 6 TIME: 1 hour 30 mins
Since going vegan, aioli has been up there for one of our most missed dips – but with this amazing recipe we managed to fill a hole in our hearts (and stomachs) and we had something nice to scoop it on to too. Polenta is originally an Italian staple and so much healthier than normal chips. The tomato salsa adds a freshness to the dish that keeps it light and easy to eat. You can thank us later; our guests couldn’t even tell it was vegan.
- Preheat the oven to 180 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Put the stock into a pan and bring to a boil, add the polenta and keep stirring every few minutes. As the Polenta absorbs the water it will become a think creamy consistency.
- When you are happy that it is cooked, transfer it to the baking tray. It is very sticky! We ended up using a number of implements to try and flatten it out (FYI the spatula was the best tool for the job.) Flatten to about 1.5cm thick and pop in the fridge for an hour to set.
- Once set, pull it out, we suggest you chop it carefully into the size of chips that you want at this point and drizzle with a little oil and shove it in the oven to cook for about 30 mins. Halfway through we pulled ours out and added some lovely fresh Rosemary from the herb garden to give it a little extra flavour.
- While that’s cooking it’s time to make the sauces; combine the garlic, lemon and chives in a small bowl and set aside to infuse.
- Make our basic aioli mix and pour in the garlic, chives and lemon mixture and use a spoon to combine. Separate into ramekins, sprinkle the lemon zest on the top for the finishing touch, and voila, there you have it, the best vegan aioli that we have ever had. (We were still enjoying the leftovers a week later thanks to resealable tubs and refrigerating; you won’t want to waste this one – OR SHARE)
- For the yellow tomato the salsa; combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. It’s as simple as that.
- When the chips are done pull them out and arrange them on a sharing platter, sprinkle with salt and serve with your banging homemade dipping sauces.