SERVES: 6 TIME: 1 hour
Risotto is such a satisfying home cooked meal, plenty of lovely stodge and warming goodness. Everyone has their own tried and tested risotto recipe, we are lovingly sharing ours. To keep it spring fresh we kept some of the crunch in the vegetables and used a lovely wild rice to make the risotto; the wild rice grains stay tougher and give the dish a really lovely earthy bite.
The brown grains in the wild rice also alter the colouring on the risotto and it comes out a lovely warm purple colour, which contrasts perfectly to bright green spring veg.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and add the shallots and garlic until they become soft.
- Chuck in your mushrooms and your fresh asparagus spears, make sure you keep on top of stirring these so they get evenly cooked.
- After about 5 minutes, the asparagus starting to show a bit of colour, add the risotto rice and give it a really good mix so all of the grains are covered in oil.
- Add about 1/3 of the stock and all of the white wine vinegar and stir through.
- Keep stirring and checking every couple of minutes and adding little bit little more stock as the rice soaks it all up whilst bringing it to the boil. This process should take about 15 minutes.
- Reduce to simmer and let the rice do it’s thing. Keep tasting and adding stock (if need be) throughout, you want to make sure the risotto is cooked but not gloopy.
- Once cooked, season, add a big handful of nutritional yeast and some freshly chopped parsley and dollop it into waiting bowls. We grilled a couple of extra asparagus to add on top for decoration.
Enjoy and relish in your home cooked one-pot lovingly made vegan wonder…